E-commerce refers to a business model online companies adopt to sell their brand products to buyers via the Internet. It involves the transfer of money and exchanging all the relevant data necessary to complete sales transactions. These commercial enterprises allow their customers to order the goods they want on their business websites. These online buyers can make these purchases from the comforts of their homes using their computers, smart phones, laptops, or tablets.
On receiving the purchase orders, the companies’ employees then prepare, pack and transport the products to the buyers’ doorsteps. However, they do so after the customers clear their payments on the purchases via prepaid methods or cash on delivery.
Need for e-commerce platform integration solutions
E-commerce integration is the process of connecting the online companies’ e-commerce storefront to their back-office enterprise resource planning (ERP) solutions. ERP refers to a software application the enterprises use to automate, simplify and manage their critical back-office operations. These include accounting, financial compliance, material procurement, customer relationship service, risk assessment, inventory control, supply chain activities.
It has an in-built centralized repository that streamlines the workflow and data transmission throughout the organizations’ business processes. This enables companies to boost the internal efficiency of their businesses. Only then can the directors and other top officials of these organizations expect a significant increase in revenue.
E-commerce platform integration is a software-as-a-service (SaaS) solution which companies use to coordinate data exchange between the e-commerce storefront and the back-office ERP system. It ensures continuous information transfer from their e-commerce storefront to critical modules of their ERP software system and vice-versa. This cloud-based SaaS solution enables companies to overcome the problems of using disparate software systems to conduct their e-commerce operations.
- The amount of time employees has to spend constantly recording similar data in two different software systems,
- The inconvenience of having to extract data from different systems and reconciling it to prepare various business performance reports,
- The inability of the top executives and directors to get timely access to reliable visible data to make important decisions,
- The significant number of unintentional clerical errors employees make when recording data from the e-commerce storefront to ERP software,
- The lack of credible information on the qualities, description, and prices of different products to enable customers to place orders, and
- The difficulties customers face in keep track of the progress of online purchase orders adversely affect their buying experience.
The benefits of using a suitable e-commerce platform integration solution for online companies to conduct their e-commerce operation are as follows:
- Significantly minimizes the occurrence of data redundancy and clerical errors through proper automation,
- Reduces the capital and operating costs these enterprises incur on maintaining disparate business software solutions,
- The real-time availability of credible business performance data enables the top officials to make important decisions, and
Operating a suitable e-commerce platform integration solution enables online companies to expand their current e-commerce operations seamlessly. However, the system they choose should be user-friendly and compatible with their existing IT infrastructure. It should even incorporate the latest artificial intelligence, machine learning, data analysis, robotic automation, and cyber-security technology. Above all, the solution should be budget-friendly to operate for the company.